Sunday, November 7, 2010

Society

Memories deepen
as wounds are opened
and histories are cited
and promises of futures more certain,
more prudent,
are made.

(There is nothing
that I can say here
that will change your mind.)

Past is past. You and your kind
have made an art of apologies.
I still haven't forgiven myself
for playing the victim.

There is a tiny death,
a ghost to permeate each cell
a cancer that consumes every limb
every time I hear you speak
your truth to me.
You remind me
of what a fool I am.
You remind me
of how easily I fall.
I analyse the color of your eyes,
the meaning of the look you gave me,
the meaning behind your brutal honesty
the contradiction of your apologies...
as I try to make sense of your world,
it becomes broken into a soulless assembly
of blocks and pixelation
and text fortified
by scientific evidence.
Seduced by the brain, but broken at heart,
you remind me
that I am a woman.

(Personally,
there is nothing you can say here
that can change my mind.
I still pretend that the world
can change more than its infrastructure.
That this endless bowl of fruit
will never rot my teeth,
that this pain
has a fertile, illogical end, grinning
from ear to ear.)

6 comments:

  1. Wow. This one is really, really good. When you hit the ball, you really knock it out of the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Cynthia. Keep 'em comming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very strong, a jagged black diamond. Makes you bleed to hold it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this, especially this line which really struck a chord:"(I still pretend) that this endless bowl of fruit will never rot my teeth." Another great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. You guys are kind. My ego is gonna need her own goddamned computer soon, so don't be too nice! It's getting hard to keep her in the closet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, if you let her out to breathe once in a while, maybe she won't bang on the door so violently?

    ReplyDelete